The below list is a short and sweet step by step guide that explains how to do Keyword Research for Search Engine Optimization. The list is explained in a 3 Part Series on Keyword Research. I encourage you to read each article:
1. Brainstorm a list of keywords and keyword phrases a person may type in to find your website. Remember to be specific.
2. Go to Google AdWords and create an account.
3. Go to Google’s Keyword Tool and enter your list of brainstormed keywords and keyword phrases. Narrow down the list of keywords generated in this report to be specific to your industry by selecting the categories most relevant to your business.
4. Export the generated list to an Excel spreadsheet. Create two new columns next to your keywords. The first will be named “Keyword Difficulty” and the second column will be named “# of Google Search Results”. This second column is optional but helpful when determining which keywords to focus on.
5. Go to Google.com and utilize the Related Search tool to create more keywords based on your initial list generated from Google AdWords Keyword Tool. Copy and Paste all new keyword ideas into your Excel spreadsheet under your initial list generated from the Keyword Tool. Remember to document the number of Google Search Results for each keyword if this seems viable to you.
7. Sort your spreadsheet by the Keyword Difficulty column with the smallest percentage first. Pick 10-15 keywords between 0% and 35%. Pick 5-10 keywords between 35% and 50%. Pick 1-5 keywords between 50% and 70%.
8. Congratulations!! You have completed your keyword research and now have an optimized list ready for search engine optimization!
Subscribe via Email
Connect with Me!
- Optimization Testing Within Branding Constraints May 23, 2013
- Ten Conversion Testing Questions Answered May 20, 2013
- The Web Usage Habits of Europeans [Infographic] May 17, 2013
- Facebook Satire Reflects Real Attitudes About the Web May 15, 2013
- Why, Why Not and How to Use Facebook Log In May 13, 2013
- What the Future Holds for Business Blogging May 23, 2013
- Where Do Marketers Get Customers? [Data] May 23, 2013
- Twitter Introduces Lead Generation 'Cards' to Collect Leads From Tweets May 22, 2013
- 22% of Salespeople Don't Want to Make Money May 22, 2013
- A Chat With an Internet Addict Who Was Forced to Go Off the Grid May 22, 2013
- Seven core principles digital marketers forget May 23, 2013
- 10 excellent ecommerce product pages May 23, 2013
- Business intelligence meets web analytics May 23, 2013
- The essential small business website checklist May 23, 2013
- Mobile is almost as popular as desktop for travel research: report May 22, 2013
- What to Test on an Ecommerce Site May 24, 2013
- 3-part Mobile Commerce App Strategy May 23, 2013
- Google's Purchase Path Tool Helps Merchants View All Marketing Channels May 22, 2013
- Using Big Data to Prevent Ecommerce Fraud May 22, 2013
- Job Description: 'Startup Ecommerce Founder' May 21, 2013
- The PayPal Killer? Sell Anything Online in Seconds with Gumroad May 23, 2013
- The Biggest Oversight In Online Video Today May 21, 2013
- What’s the biggest question you have about building an online business right now? May 16, 2013
- Vanity vs. Actionable Metrics: Are you tracking the right stats in your business? May 9, 2013
- What’s New at Fizzle and Why We Changed Our Pricing Model May 7, 2013